Thursday, April 01, 2010

Children as campaign props

I understand that politicians like to show pictures of themselves with their families, to show what normal people they are.  And being involved in politics myself, I can understand taking your kids to a political function because they are too young to be home alone.  But what I will never understand is making your daughter stand on stage with you while you give a speech. 

That is what Rep Tim Walz did at the CD1 DFL convention, video at the People's Press website here.  Walz spoke for 16 minutes by my watch, with his daughter standing awkwardly at his side.

I feel bad enough taking my kids to meetings and conventions, even though they bring books and games to keep them entertained.  I would never use my kids as a prop onstage.  This was embarrassing.  

No comments: