Thursday, May 08, 2008

Poetic justice

My absolute favorite thing to do is hop in the boat and go fishing. Walleyes, northerns, sunnies, crappies, whatever. Just being on the water watching a bobber is a little slice of heaven for me.

So, needless to say, it's been a tough few years for my favorite pastime.

Spring of 2003 I got the news that my unit was going to Kosovo. I got out a few times that summer, but quality time with the family took precedence. We left in fall 2003 and got home in September 2004. A couple of quick outings was all I could manage before the weather got too cold.

I was practically drooling over my fishing gear in spring of 2005 when we got the word that we were going to Iraq. Again, projects around the house and family time took precedence. We were expecting to be home in April of 2007, but then the news came about the surge. So it was late July before we got home. I got out fishing 3 or 4 times before the weather turned cold.

So this spring I have been literally fighting the symptoms of withdrawal. But this year, I will be kicking things off right. I have the privilege of being invited, along with 7 other soldiers of the 1st BCT, to go fishing with Governor Pawlenty on the fishing opener weekend. Heck, I would pay good money just to watch a bunch of fishing guides in action. Now, I will be in the midst of some of the best fishing guides in the state at one of the most luxurious fishing resorts in the region.

I will try to post some updates and pictures if I have internet access. Rest assured I will catch the biggest fish, even if I have to photoshop it!

No comments: