Thursday, January 06, 2011

Pop quiz

When taking the oath of enlistment, I swore to defend-

A) The United States
B) The President of the USA
C) The state of Minnesota
D) The Constitution

If you answered D, you are not only correct, you are probably not a liberal, judging by today's reaction to the reading of the Constitution on the House floor.

Just for refresher, here is the oath I took-
I, (David Thul), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the State of (Minnesota) against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the Governor of (Minnesota) and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to law and regulations. So help me God.
I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the State of Minnesota, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same.

Only then does the oath talk about obeying the orders of the President and the Governor.

The Constitution is the instruction manual for our entire government.  It is the blueprint for our democracy.  Any one who objects to the reading of the Constitution has forgotten the premise on which our country is based.

No comments: