Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Mr Smith goes to City Hall

Dave: You ever think back to how you got started?
Vice-President Nance: Well...
[chuckles]
Vice-President Nance: I was a shoe salesman. Not very happy about it. One day, my wife says to me, "why don't you try running for office? You know, you talk about it all the time. Why don't you just go do it?" So I tell my boss I have a dentist appointment, and go down to the registrar of voters on my lunch break... next thing I know I'm a councilman.
Dave: Really?
Vice-President Nance: My wife was my campaign manager, we had a budget of two thousand dollars - with advertising.
[laughs]
Vice-President Nance: What about you?
Dave: What?
Vice-President Nance: How did you get started?
Dave: [smiles] Kind of the same way.

I'm not a shoe salesman, but my wife has used this line on me for years to get me to either get into politics or quit complaining.

So this morning I filed for Owatonna City Council.  My wife will probably be my campaign manager, but I wont have a budget anywhere near two thousand dollars.  I wont know until filing closes in two weeks who will run against me, and that will determine how much money I may need to raise through contributions.

What I do know is that the election of one of the most liberal presidents in history, along with veto-proof majorities in the House and Senate were the straw that broke the camel's back for me.  I joined the Republican party on Jan 20th, inauguration day, and was selected to fill in for the county co-chair a few months later when he had to step down to move out of state.  Now I am running for office.  Quite a year so far.

I have set up a blog for the campaign, Dave4Owatonna, where you can get info on the race.  Otherwise, I will try to keep the race seperate from this blog to keep the issues straight.

1 comment:

Mjolnir said...

Good for you Dave! I'll be following your campaign blog brother!