Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

Today is the 1st Father's Day in the seven and a half years since my son was born that I have been home on Father's Day.

2007 and 2006 were in Iraq.

2005 was in Camp Ripley for annual training.

2004 was in Kosovo.

2003 was in Camp Ripley.

2001 and 2002 were in Fort Chafee, Arkansas, for annual training.

I started the morning on the lake fishing. They didn't cooperate, but I didn't really mind.
I planted a small vegetable garden and mowed the lawn. Then I took the family to the local bowling alley. Funny story there-I dug out my old bowling ball and shoes from high school from the attic. Thinking myself to be pretty cool, I bowled well enough that my kids thought my bowlign ball was 'magic'. But I didn't notice that the bowling shoes I last wore when I was 20 were slowly falling apart. The seams were glued, not stitched, and I was limping my way thru the last few frames trying not to throw a shoe down the lane.

All in all, this is the best Father's day I've had.

No comments: